Some of our favorite local attractions near Berryville, followed by a wider area index; Contacts listed at the end:
- In downtown Berryville, the Firehouse Gallery showcases regional artwork of paintings, jewelry, textiles & pottery. The Barns of Rose Hill non-profit cultural center highlights the area's history and serves as gallery space for rotating artwork, as well as ongoing theatre events; open Fri 12-3pm, Sat 1-3pm, Sun 1-3pm. Sister-in Laws is a darling boutique of affordable vintage & flea market items. Sweet Pea's carries great children's clothing located upstairs on Main St; open daily. Every Saturday morning the Farmer's Market is held just 2 blocks from the Inn. with seasonal local produce, eggs, meats, baked goods, lavender products, flowers, salsas, pork BBQ, etc. from April - Nov. The Clarke County's Historical Assn's Museum is open from 11:00 to 4:00 Tue thru Sat at 32 East Main Street, Berryville. Come see our local exhibit that celebrates 300 years of Clarke County history! 540-955-2600
- Downtown Berryville offers many restaurants within walking distance from the Inn with a restaurant to satisfy every taste and budget; check out the Inn's book of their sample menus.The Battletown Inn Restaurant offers continental, contemporary fine dining; dinner entrees typically $18 - $25; patio and pub dining, as well as formal restaurant seating. Open from Tue lunch thru Sat dinner. El Camino Real is a family owned restaurant with great authentic Mexican cusine from a large menu of traditional recipes plus various margaritas, and a bar, plus al fresco dining. Our favorites are Tom's Callabacitas con Arroz & Janet's Seafood Enchiladas con Guacamole; open daily. Santorini Greek cuisine is "all the way across the street" from the Inn with a great Mediterranean menu, plus some American fare; open daily. Foccasia Italian Restaurant cooks international dishes from pasta to crab cakes; (Janet copied their great rigatoni recipe) casual environment with wide screen TV; open daily. The Berryville Grill is a local casual favorite, offering continental entrees, soups, salads & great desserts at reasonable prices in an attractive renovated hotel; Janet swears by their baby back ribs, tempura ahi tuna kabobs, meatloaf and burgers! The Bistro offers a casual atmosphere with great hearty lunches and dinner offerings. Our local Golden Dragon prepares really good Chinese food & service in a comfortable dining room or for take-out. Lunchtime cafe choices are the Main Street Coffee Shop for sandwichs, muffins and beverages in a WiFi fun environment. The corner Patissarie Maluchi's has fresh made bakery items, soup and quiche and Boyd's Nest Cafe country food favorites open Tue - Sat.
- On the outskirts of Berryville enjoy Mr. B's great pork BBQ, our favorite Sunday lunch carryout for an al fresco meal on our Inn's "Gone with the Wind" front porch! The internationally featured 5***** L'Auberge Provencal Inn Restaurant offers a French gourmet menu featuring locally sourced products from the No. Shenandoah Valley! Enjoy the Sunday Bistro Lunch from 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM. Dinners include a 3 course meal for $55; 5 course for $82. L'Auberge consistently offers fabulous French cuisine with impeccable service; a bit expensive with optional wine pairings, but well worth every bite & certainly appropriate for a special occasion.
- Berryville's Veramar vineyard celebrates TGIF with extended evening hours from noon to 9PM on Friday & Saturday; noon to 5pm on Sunday thru Thursday. Every weekend Veramar Vineyard offers wine tastings and lite dining fare in a fun, special events setting with breathtaking views of the vineyards and mountains. Ck their website for upcoming events.
- Social Graces' open ballroom dance in downtown Berryville is every 2nd and 4th Saturday evening with refreshments and door prizes, and an hour long dance lesson that starts at 7:30PM, the dance runs till 10:30 PM. $12 per person, $20 per couple. 540-409-7136..
- New Season for Grinding Grain from May thru Nov at the 18th Century Burwell Morgan Mill, in nearby Millwood. Grinding demonstrations of wheat and corn; with the resulting meal available for purchase. 540.837.1799. Sat 10 - 5pm; Sun noon to 5pm. The grounds offer picnic tables for enjoying take out gourmet food, beer and wine from across the street at Lockes' Store; and our Golden Retriever loves to swim in the adjacent fast moving Mill race.
- Clarke County's Mackintosh Fruit Farm offers fresh, luscious berries, peaches, apples, fruit salsas, as well as a casual fruit-packed lunch menu on the patio. Monthly "dinner in the field" with local produce in season. Pick your own, or packaged fruits to go. Open daily in season.
- The State Arboretum of Virginia at Blandy provides a 700-acre University of Virginia home for their agricultural and experimental gardens, located just 8 minutes from the Inn on main Rt 50. Includes more than 8,000 trees and woody shrubs, more than half the world's pine species, the Virginia Native Plant Trail, the Boxwood Memorial Garden, a spectacular grove of more than 300 ginkgo trees, an herb garden featuring culinary, medicinal and ornamental herbs, nature walks, presentations on a variety of environmental issues and botanical & wildlife subjects; easy paved walkways through their experimental gardens. Open daily during daylight hours. Call for special events. 540.837.1758.
- The Holy Cross Abbey, adjacent to the Shenandoah River, is home to the Cistercian Order of Trappist Monks and offers numerous special mass services. Visitors are welcome from 3:15 to 8pm weekdays for personal prayer and meditation, as well as for the open mass services at 5pm Fridays and 11am Sundays with the Divine Office sung by the monks. Visit their wonderful gift shop. The Inn offers the Abbey's unbelievable truffle chocolates in our Romance Trio package. www.hcava.org; 540.955.1425.
Things to Do; Places to Visit within a 20 mile radius of the Inn; Contacts listed at the end:
- Leesburg offers lots of shopping opportunities with the Leesburg Corner Premium Outlet Mall of high-end goods in an outdoor mall that feels like a small shopping village. Popular retailers include Banana Republic, William Sonoma, Saks Off 5th Avenue, BCBG, Barney's NY, Ralph Lauren Polo, Smithsonian, Movado, Restoration Hardware, J. Crew and lots of shoe stores to include Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, Nike, Nine West, with an indoor fast food court. Open daily from 9am-5pm. Historic downtown Leesburg also offers shopping fun with little boutiques & antique shops. Two great restaurants we can recommend are Light Foot and Tuscarora in the downtown district.
- Middleburg puts an equestrian spin on all their darling boutiques, galleries, restaurants and shops. Hours: 10am - 5pm daily for most shops. Good lunch venues, a vintage ice cream parlour, Scandinavian offers beautiful Swedish housewares & furniture, the Home Farm Store specializes in local Ayrshire Farm's organically grown meats and produce, Salamander offers gourmet dishes & cooking classes. Lots of tack shops, galleries and antiques. In downtown Middleburg, we suggest The Red Fox Restaurant which boasts that George Washington slept there; their food is good; cozy historic ambiance; pricey menu.
- Winchester is an easy 15 min drive from the Inn, offering Creekside Shopping Center as an outdoor mall of new, upscale shops and restaurants on Rt 11 Valley Ave. south; and the downtown historic Loudoun St. walking mall offers little boutiques and great restaurants. Consider visiting the new Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theatre/Restaurant with multi plex theaters aprx 45 minutes drive from the Inn via Rt 81 south, exit #11; 540.313.4060. The "strip" shopping area in Winchester is along Pleasant Valley Rd which houses every chain restaurant and retailer known to man (or woman). Our favorite Winchester restaurants on the Loudoun walking mall include Violino's Italian Restaurant, pricey but worth it; open Tue-Sat; Village Square with excellent American fare, a lounge & piano bar; open from Tue to Sun brunch; One Block West on parallel Indian Alley street; great continental food open Tue-Satwith a chef's table opportunity; Brewbakers Pub and Piccadilly's. Reservations suggested on weekends.
- Upperville, on Rt 50 east of Berryville, we recommend The Hunters Head with a menu of locally grown organic meat recipes from local Ayrshire Farm in a cozy pub-like environment. Well priced dishes; small dining rooms that may require reservations on the weekend; open daily. Upperville places an enormous amount of interest on horses, maybe more than Middleburg, and hosts the oldest Colt & Horse Show in America on their fairgrounds along Rt 50 in early June, not to be missed!
- Shepherdstown, W. Va.is apprx 35 minutes from the Inn, following a scenic country road thru nearby West Va. rural landscape and makes for a fun day's outing. Shepherd College fine arts curriculum inspires the Town's bohemian, vintage culture on the downtown artisan shops & international restaurants. Our favorite restaurants on the main German Street include Shaharazade's Tea Room with Middle Eastern delicacies, great chicken salad and huge variety of hot & cold teas; Tom enjoys the select evening belly dancing entertainment; The Press Room with super American fare and reasonable prices, located next door to the historic Shepherdstown Opera House Theatre that shows foreign & American interesting films in an intimate and friendly music hall setting with wine offerings; the best Chinese restaurant on the corner (Janet's favorite dish is sautéed soft shell crab with spicy Asian sauce); and the Yellow Brick Bank offers super continental cuisine. The Bavarian Inn restaurant is just 1/4 mile off main German St and has for many decades offered fabulous authentic German/Austrian fare.
- Charlestown, West Va., a 15 minute drive, is known for its Hollywood Casino and horse racing entertainment at their historic Charlestown Racetrack. The Casino offers table games as well as 5,000 slot machines. Thoroughbred horses race on a six furlough track. There are 6 restaurants, allowing for dining and gambling before heading back to the comfort of the Berryville Inn. Hours are 7am - 4am weekdays; 24 hrs on Fri and Sat.
- Harpers Ferry, West Va is an easy 15 minute drive from the Berryville Inn, and is known for its enormous role in the Civil War, involving John Brown's Raiders, the underground railroad, etc. It's a cute town, with shops and cafes, on a steep hill, overlooking the confluence of the Potomac & Shenandoah Rivers as a State Park including a portion of the C&O canal where barges were pulled by mules to the industrial area created by the dual rivers. The banks of the Shenandoah provide a great place to picnic and we' ve discovered interesting shards of old glass throughout this area. The Bike Trail from Wash. D.C. passes thru here and the Amtrac station is located in Town. There is an interesting John Brown historic museum and presentations to include ghost tours & historic tours of Harpers Ferry. offered year-round. Free parking is provided by the State Park at the end of Town with shuttle buses that run continually & avoid vehicle traffic in Town to maintain the historic preservation.
Take A Self-Guided Hunt Country Wine Tasting Tour
- Veramar Vineyards is located on the outskirts of Berryville, just off Rt 7; turn onto Quarry Rd Rt 612; vineyard is on the left. Open daily year-round 12-5; 12-6 on Sat. Lots of special winetasting w/ lite fare events; www.veramar.com 540.955.5510; the Bogati family's wine presence is also located on main Rt 7 bypass west of Round Hill adjacent to the Hill High market with its landmark covered wagon.
- Swedenburg Vineyard is located on Rt 50, 1 mile west of Middleburg at 23595 Winery Lane, Middleburg Va 20117.Open Sat & Sun from 11am -5pm. Tastings $5/person. 540.687.5219. www.swedenburgwines.com
- Piedmont Vineyardis located in No Fauquier Co, 3 miles south of Middleburg at 2546 Halfway Rd, Middleburg Va 20117 in the Waverly Estate, an historic landmark from the 18th-19th centuries. Open daily 11-5pm; 540.687.5528.
Vineyards along the Delaplane Road "crooked historic valley road" (Rt 17 via Rt 66) include:
- Vintage Ridge Vineyards at 8517 Maidstone Rd., Delaplane, Va 20144. 540.364.3371. From the Inn, take Rt 50 east 12 mi.; Right on Atoka Rd for 5 mi.; Right on Rectortown Rd for .4 mi.; left on Maidstone Rd. for .4 mi.
- Three Fox Vineyards at 10100 Three Fox Lane, Delaplane, Va 20144. Open Thurs - Mon. from 11-5. Sun 12-5. From the Inn take Rt 50 east 4.5mi.; Rt onto Rt 17 for 6.5 mi.; Rt on Three Fox Lane. 540.364.6073
- Delaplane Cellars at 2187 Winchester Rd, Delaplane Va 2220144; 540.592.7210; open 11-5 Thurs thru Mon; www.virginiawine.org
- Aspen Dale Winery at the Barn at 3180 Aspen Dale Lane, Delaplane Va 20144; 202.297.9517; open weekends; www.virginiawine.org
- RD Vineyards at 2550 Delaplane Rd, Delaplane VAa 20144; 540.364.0221
- Miracle Valley Vineyard at 3661 Double J Lane, Delaplane, Va.; 540.364.0228; www.virginiawine.org; open Thurs - Mon 11-15 from Mar 01-Dec 14
Heading east along Rt 7 corridor, western Loudoun Co. wineries include:
- Bluemont Vineyards and Great Country Farms is located at 18755 Foggy Bottom Rd, Bluemont Va 20135.Tastings $5/person; open Apr - Oct open 11 -6 Thurs - Sun. 540.554.8439; www.bluemontvineyard.com
- Hillsborough Vineyards at 3716 Charlestown Pike, Purcellville Va 20132. Open daily 11-5. from the Inn take Rt 7 east; exit Rt 287 Lovettsville/Purcellville; left on Berlin Tnpk 3.2 mi.; left on Charlestown Pike - Rt 9 3.2 mi.
- Notaviva Yineyardsis located at 13274 Sagle Rd., Purcellville Va 20132 , From the Inn take Rt 340 No; exit W Va 115/Charlestown Rd .3 mi.; maintain right to Charlestown Rd / Va Rt 9 for 7.6 mil; left onto Sagle Road for .9 mi.
- Sunset Hills Vineyardsis located at 38295 Fremont Overlook Lane, Purcellville 20132 in a beautiful Amish 130 year old barn with views of the Blue Ridge. Tastings supplemented by gourmet cheeses, freshly baked baguettes, etc. Tastings $5/person. Open 12-5 Mon - Thurs; 12-6 Fri, Sat Sun.
- Breaux Vineyards at 36888 Breaux Vineyard Lane, Purcellville VA 20132.540.668.6299. From the Inn take Rt 340 No. 12.2 mi.; exit West Va 115 East Charlestown Rd Va Rt 9 for .3 mi; Rt onto Charlestown Rd - WVa Rt 9 for 9.3 mi; left onto Rt 671 Harpers Ferry Rd for 1.2 mi; Rt to vineyards
Antiques, Auctions and Flea Markets:
- Black Penny Antiques in nearby Millwood 540.837.2150
- Red Schoolhouse European Antiques in nearby Millwood 540.837.3033; www.scottish-connection.com
- Headley Auctions held on 2nd Thurs/month (or TBD; ck the website) Berryville 540.955.2022; www.headleyauctions.com
- Hash Auction House every Monday in Berryville 540955.0277. www.hashauctionhouse.com
- Harpers Ferry outdoor Flea Market www.harpersferryfleamarket.com held from March - November
- Double Tollgare outdoor flea market located 10 minutes north of Berryville on Rt 340; 80% junk, but always some treasures. Open weekends March - November
- Berryville's Firehouse Gallery; 540.955.4001
- The Barns of Rose Hill Visitor Center open Fri noon to 5pm ; Sat 10 - 3pm; Sun noon - 3pm ;540.955.2004 www.barnsofrosehill.org
- Art show in Spring & Fall at the Historic Mill in Millwood, featuring regional art offerings of paintings, pottery, sculpture. Ck the Clarke Co website for upcoming dates
- Hollywood Casino, Charlestown WV www.hollywoodcasinocharlestown.com 304.725.7001
Caverns / Cave Spelunking:
- Crystal Caverns in Strasburg Va. 540.465.8660; www.virginiawind.com
- Skyline Cavers www.skylinecaverns.com in Front Royal, Va 800.296.4545
- Shenandoah Caverns www.shenandoahcaverns.com 540.477.3115
- Holy Cross Abbey; Berryville; www.hcava.org 540.955.1425
Civil War Historical Landmarks:
Harpers Ferry Natl Historic Park 304.535.6029; www.nps.gov/hafe/index
Stonewall Jackson's Hdqts; 540.667.3242; www.winchesterhistory.org
Harpers Ferry ghost tours 732.801.0381; 304.535.6342. www.johnbrownwaxmuseum.com
Social Graces Dance studio in Berryville; www.berryvilleballroom.com; 540.409.7136
- Abernethy & Spencer.540.338.9118. Lincoln Va.
- Webers Garden Center; www.webersgardencenter.com , Winchester 540.662.4311. open daily
- Sunflower Cottage; www.sunflowercottage.net. 540.869.8482; Open 9-6 daily
- Blandy at the U. of Virginia Arboretum; 540.837.1758
Shenandoah Valley Golf Club, Front Royal Va 540.636.4653; www.svgcgolf.com
Historic Estates, Tours & Museums:
- Belle Grove Plantation, Middletown Va. 540.869.2028; www.bellegrove.org
- Glen Burnie Historic House and Gardens, Winchester Va.; 540.662.1473; www.shenandoahmuseum.org
- Harpers Ferry Museum & Ghost Tours; 732.801.0381 or 304.535.6342; www.johnbrownwaxmuseum.com
- Long Branch estate in nearby Millwood 540.837.1856; www.historiclongbranch.com
- Holy Cross Abby of Cisteroian Order monks Berryville 540.955.1425; www.hcava.org
- Burwell Morgan Mill, nearby Millwood Va 540.837.1799' www.clarkehistory.org
- www.silverspurstable.com in Berryville 540.955.1757
- J-Bit Ranch in Berryville 540.955.4099
- Rocking S Ranch; www.therockingsranch.com; 540.678.8501
Bear's Den Trail Center and Hostel at the Appalacian Trail 540.554.8708; www.bearsdencenter.org
University of Virginia State Arboretum at Blandy 540.837.1758; www.virginia.edu/blandy
Sky Meadows State Park 540.592.3556; www.der.virginia.gov/state
Hot Air Balloon Rides:
- Balloons Unlimited in Berryville; www.balloonsunlimited.com, 703.327.0444
- Blue Ridge Hot Air Balloons, Front Royal, Va. 540.622.6325; www.rideair.com
- The Lifters www.thelifterslimo.com; 540.877.8665; 540.550.4719
- The Premier Limosine Service of No. Virginia 703.790.5466 (LIMO); www.chariotsforhire.com
- wine tours area of Middleburg, Flint Hill, Paris; www.verrill.com/winetour
Music Concerts, Dance, Theatre:
- Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theatre, Winchester/Kernstowne Va; www.drafthouse.com
- Barns of Rose Hill, Berryville 540.955.2004 www.barnsofrosehill.org
- Bluemont Concert Series www.bluemont.org
- Franklin Park Art Center in Purcellville; 540.338.7973; www.franklinparkartcenter.org
- Museum of the Shenandoah Valley at Glenburnie summer weekend evening concerts in the Garden; www.shenandoahmuseum.org
- Shenandoah University Conservatory concerts, Winchester 877.580.8025; www.conservatoryperforms.org
- University of Va. Arboretum summer lawn concerts at Blandy 540.837.1758
- Watermelon Park Festival, Berryville Va 304.268.0763; late September www.watermelonpark.com
- Wayside Theatre, Middletown, Va 540.869.1776
- Winchester Little Theatre, Winchester Va. 540.662.3331
- Charlestown Horse Racing and Casino 304.725.7001; www.hollywoodcasinocharlestown.com/
- Summit Point Auto Raceway 304.725.8444; www.summitpoint-raceway.com
Restaurants: (* denotes typically open for Sunday dinner)
- *Ashby Inn, Paris Rt 50, fine dining experience 540.592.3900
- Battletown Inn Restaurant, 540.955.4100; 102 W. Main St., Berryville 22611
- Bavarian Inn, 304.876.2551; 164 Shepherd Grade Rd, Shepherdstown WV 25443
- * Berryville Grill, 540.955.4317; 9 E. Main St., Berryville VA 22611
- Blackthorne Inn Restaurant, 540.592.2130; 10087 John Mosby Hwy, Upperville VA 20184
- Brewbakers Pub, 540.535.0111; 168 No. Loudoun St., Winchester VA 22601
- * Carrabas Italian Cafe on Rt 11 south of Winchester
- * El Camino Real, 540.955.4730; 32 W. Main St., Berryville VA 22611
- *Hunters Head, 540.592.9020; 9048 John Mosby Hwy, Upperville Va 20184
- *L'Auberge Provencal Country French Restaurant, 540.837.1375; White Post Va 22663
- * La Nicoise Cafe 540.722.4557 French restaurant - Braddock St, Winchester
- Lightfoot Restaurant, 703.771.2233; 11 No. King St, Leesburg VA 20175
- Mimosa Asian Fusion, 540.545.8482; 202 Grocery Ave., Winchester VA
- * Outback Steakhouse on Rt 11 south of Winchester
- Patissarie Maluchi, E Main St, Berryville VA 22611
- Piccadilly Grill, 540.667.4021; Loudoun St, Winchester Va 22601
- Pressroom Restaurant, 304.876.3704; Shepherdstown WV 25443
- * Santorini Grill - Berryville across the street from the Inn
- Savoir Faire - Round Hill
- Shaharazade's Tea Room, Shepherdstown, WV 304.876.1000
- Tastee Freeze, 540.955.0860 Main St., Berryville 22611
- *The Red Fox Inn 540.687.3122; 2 E. Washington St, Middleburg VA 20118
- Tuscarora Restaurant 703.478.1141; 203 Harrison St, Leesburg VA 20175
- Village Square, 540.667.8961;101 No. Loudoun St, Winchester VA 22601
- Violinos Italian Restaurant, 540.667.8006; 181 No. Loudoun St, Winchester VA 22601
- Yellow Brick Bank Restaurant 304.876.2208, Shepherdstown WV 25443
- River Riders in nearby Harpers Ferry 800.326.7238; www.riverriders.com
- Watermelon Park in Berryville offers canoes, kayaks, tubes, www.watermelonpark.com ; open 4/01 - 11/01; 9/24/11 annual music festival
- Whitehall Farm, Bluemont Va 703.948.2999; www.historicwhitehall.com
Agriculture; pick your own; farmers market
Visit local Farms. suggest contact in advance:
McIntosh Fruit Farm; Berryville www.billandlorimachintosh.com
- Alpacas of Middleburg at Flowing Fleece Farm;21067 St. Louis Rd, Middleburg 540.687.5146
- Beaucaire Farm, 16633 Hillsboro Rd, Purcellville Va 540.751.0104
- Cornucopia Farm, 37823 Snickersville Tnpk, Purcellville 540.338.7733
- Crazy Horse Garden at 34611 Welbourne Rd., Middleburg 540.687.8621
- Creek Crossing Farm, 37768 Chappelle Hill Rd, Lincoln 540.338.7550
- Crooked Run Orchard 37883 E. Main St. Purcellville 540.338.6642. www.crookedrunorchard.com
- Day Spring Farm 21338 Steptoe Hill Road, Middleburg 540.687.6036 www.dayspringfarmva.com
- Fields of Athenry in Purcellville 540,687.3936 www.fieldsofathenryfarm.com
- Frog Haven Farm 14016 Mountain Rd, Purcellville 540.668.6612
- Grandale Farm 14001 Harpers Ferry Rd, Purcellville 540.668.6000
- Great Country Farms 181780 Foggy Bottom Rd, Bluemont 540.554.2073
- Greenstone Fields 38223 John Wolford Rd, Purcellville 540.882.4408
- Gum Springs Farm 21980 Quaker Lane, Middleburg 540.592.9561
- Herons Court Farm, 7310 John Mosby Hghwy, Middleburg 540.687.5424
- Loudoun Lamb 16175 Mountain Ridge Lane, Purcellville 540.668.6008 (eve)703.777.6535 (days)
- Moutoux Orchard 15290 Purcellville road, Purcellville www.moutouxorchard.com
- Oakland Green Farm, Lincoln 540.338.7628 www.oaklandgreen.com
- Onyx Hill Farm, Purcellville 703.989.2784 www.onyxhillfarm.com
- Potomac Vegetable Farm 15227 Berlin Tnpk, Purcellville 703.759.2119 www.potomacvegetablefarms.com
- Pruitt's Little Farm 16477 Woodgrove Rd, Round Hill 540.338.2852
- Silcott Springs Farm 19027 Silcott Springs Rd, Purcellville 540.338.1881
- Solitude 34923 Snickersville Tnpk, Round Hill 540.554.2312
- Susans Garden 37825 Hyatt Lane, Purcellville 540.668.6043
- Tadpole Acres 439 Frogtown Rd, Bluemont 540.955.3490
- Woodtrail Graziers 19643 Woodtrail Rd, Round Hill 540.554.8665
- Loudoun Valley Herbs 119405 Woodrail Rd, Round Hill 540.554.2748